The track record of BPM/BPR is improving. A 2002 study found 73% of 327 projects surveyed reported meeting or exceeding expectations. The same study reported 70% of projects realised benefits within 6 months.
While the majority of these initiatives are sparked by the need to reduce expenses, other reasons are the pressures to remain competitive, the need to improve customer satisfaction and improve quality
Keys to success are Simplicity, Focus, Energy and Alignment
Specifically, some of the aspects you could focus on are:
- Clear, aligned support from senior sponsors
- Alignment to corporate strategy
- Strong, diverse project team
- Defined, measurable business outcomes
- Specific and tangible business case
- Using a proven methodology
- The need to show results quickly
When you really begin to structure transformation programs effectively then your organisation will evolve and derive benefits that you would not have believed possible. Projects fail when programs are not structured effectively.
You don’t have to engage consultants deliver these benefits, however you may wonder what value can be generated from independent consultants skilled in designing and implementing these programs.